University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca
Since 1869

flag ro 

The Botanical Garden

The Agrobotanical garden situated in the campus of the University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Cluj-Napoca shelters more than 1800 plant species that can be admired by visitors. As the garden was founded in 1903, near the ruins of a XIth century monastery, it is probable that part of the plant species that had been cultivated by the monks were kept, considering the fact that they owned a medicinal plant garden and a pharmacy. In the beginning, the Agrobotanical garden occupied only half a hectare, but in 2007 it was expanded to its actual surface - near 7 hectares.

During the first decades following its foundation, new species of the spontaneous flora of Romania, as well as of other areas with temperate climate, were planted. After a difficult period that occurred as a consequence of the change in the political system in 1989, the garden was completely rehabilitated and reorganized starting with the year 1998, when the first special collection of the garden was created: the rock plants. Especially, during May, the rocks in the Agrobotanical garden are covered with flowers, some of them rare species in nature, for the delight of the visitors. The founding of the second special collection, of succulent plants, counting at the moment over 400 species of cacti and other succulent plants, began in 1999. The beautiful flowers of the cacti may be admired, from spring until autumn, in a natural environment alike to the one where they usually grow.

The Agrobotanical garden represents a genuine living museum, its sectors sheltering– the colorful ornamental sector, the tessellated ecologic sector, the modern systematic sector and the broad sector of biodiversity – a large number of animal species, relevant for the tremendous biological diversity of our planet.